This course provides an introduction to the field of business valuation as it is practiced today in Canada. Students will examine the many uses of business valuations, business valuation terminology, sources of information, valuation principles and approaches. Working with realistic case material, students will learn how to research general economic and specific industry conditions, analyze company financial and operational information and prepare and analyze valuation calculations.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Explain and appropriately use business valuation terminology.
- Apply underlying business valuation concepts and principles to solve business valuation problems.
- Interpret data pertaining to general economic and specific industry conditions in the context of a business valuation.
- Plan and execute the financial and operational analysis of a firm in order to determine firm’s value drivers.
- Compare and contrast the various business valuation approaches and select the correct approach to use in a given situation.
- Prepare business valuation calculations using both cash flow and asset based approaches and to evaluate the results for reasonableness.
- Analyze the capital structure of a firm and determine the appropriate capitalization and discount rates to use in a business valuation.
- Evaluate public equity market and comparable transaction data and appropriately apply the data in a business valuation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various taxation and legal issues relating to the field of business valuation.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles and practice of buying and selling business interests.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Business Valuation (FMGT 7520) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Bachelor of Accounting Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Business Valuation (FMGT 7520)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.