The primary focus of this course is to develop data analytic skills needed by business managers. Students will develop a sound methodology to build "what if" spreadsheet models to assess various business cases. Throughout the course, students will develop data analytic skills on business cases in which the design of the spreadsheet is of paramount importance. The course includes discussion of various sophisticated data tools to assist managers in making business decisions. This course covers advanced Excel formulas, concepts, and applications using larger and more professional worksheets and focusses on the data modeling approach using MS Excel. Topics include built-in functions, charts, transferring data across applications, and using the built-in tools such as PivotTables, Sparklines, Slicers, and PowerPivots.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use correct data modeling terminology.
- Describe the components of functional spreadsheet applications.
- Solve financial/business problems using appropriate functions such as PMT, FV, NPER, IRR, NPV and RATE in assessing business cases.
- Create complex charts and forecasts using trend lines.
- Develop effective “what if” statements in a spreadsheet to support business decisions.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage and present complex data to effectively support business decisions.
- Implement advanced spreadsheet functions such as goal seek and scenarios to support business decisions.
- Develop a multi-sheet worksheet model capable of sensitivity analyses.
- Prepare, create and apply Templates and Styles in Charts and Tables.
- Organize data lists using filters and PivotTables.
- Summarize data using statistical functions.
- Apply Relative, Absolute and Mixed cell references.
- Apply data validation options.
- Analyze data using the Scenario Manager, Data Tables and Goal Seek.
- Use imported and exported data to build models.
- Demonstrate finding and fixing formula errors and 3D formulas.
- Apply basic Macros.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2020
Business Data Analytics for Managers (BSYS 5800) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Business Management - Advanced Diploma
Advanced Diploma Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Business Data Analytics for Managers (BSYS 5800)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.