Students will perform total station instrument setups, checks and calibration for both infrared and reflectorless technology. Students will also carry out angle and distance measurement procedures, direct and remote elevation determination, traversing procedures, topographic/detail surveys and construction layout. The course will cover both onboard digital and manual data collection and on-board data processing in a variety of industry standard scenarios. An overview of coordinates and coordinate systems will also be given. A portion of this course is available on-line.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of SURV 1104 for the Fall 2023 term.
Sat Sep 09 - Sat Oct 21 (5 weeks)
- 5 weeks
- CRN 31313
Class meeting times
|Sep 09 - Oct 21||Sat||08:30 - 15:30||Burnaby SE12 Rm. 312|
**No classes on September 30 (Day of Truth and Reconciliation) and October 7, 2023 (Thanksgiving) You may proceed to register for this course online, or by contacting Student Information and Enrollment Services (SIES) at 604-434-1610 or 1-866-434-1610 Toll-Free (Canada and US only). For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define survey terminology.
- Describe the components of the total station.
- Set up a total station over a point.
- Calibrate a total station for distance measurement.
- Calibrate a total station for angle measurement.
- Adjust total station operational settings for a variety of scenarios.
- Measure horizontal angles.
- Measure zenith angles.
- Measure slope distances.
- Measure reflectorless and infra red distance measurements.
- Collect manual and digital field data.
- Carry out a closed traverse using a total station.
- Carry out a 3D topographic survey using a total station.
- Use on-board station software for survey analysis.
- Layout a point.
- Measure areas.
Effective as of Fall 2008
Basic Surveying with Total Stations (SURV 1104) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Basic Surveying with Total Stations (SURV 1104)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.