Introduces basic supervision and management skills. Topics include management responsibilities, interpersonal and communication skills, leadership, teamwork, negotiation and dispute resolution. Basic ethical rights and principles are examined, as well as various industry codes of ethics. Relevant case studies are reviewed as they relate to ethical issues in the workplace. 3.0 credits 12 weeks.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of BLDT 1061 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 08 - Thu Nov 24 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 34841
Class meeting times
|Sep 08 - Nov 24||Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
classes will be Synchronised (must be logged on date and times published) No vacation requests - no extensions except for documented medical reasons - please see Course outline Instructions re access will come from instructor 1 week to 10 days prior to course start Also check BCIT.CA main web page for updates and also check your my.bcit.ca email
This course offering is full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Recognize and evaluate conflicting ethical issues and dilemmas.
- Formulate goals and objectives within their area of management.
- Understand the techniques necessary for effective communication.
- Understand leadership skills and successful leadership styles.
- Enhance negotiating techniques and tactics.
- Identify core issues in disputes, and develop a method of successful problem solving and dispute resolution.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Basic Management and Ethics (BLDT 1061) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Basic Management and Ethics (BLDT 1061)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.