This online course introduces participants to staffing, finances, marketing and shop administration associated with the automotive service and repair industry. Potential candidates are: upgrading technicians, career transistioners, service support staff, and those seeking general knowledge for a career in automotive management. Topics discussed, but not limited to are: sales potential, profitability, expense control, working with vendors, understanding staff motivational factors, and we will answer the questions; "where do all the numbers come from and what do they mean?". You should have some general knowledge of the repair industry in order for this course to be meaningful to you. If you are new to the automotive repair industry than consider taking AUTO 2160 before attempting this course as the terminology and concepts used within this course may create an unnecessarily steep learning curve for you.
Below is one offering of AUTO 3160 for the Winter 2023 term.
Tue Feb 14 - Thu Mar 09 (4 weeks)
- 4 weeks
- CRN 88157
Class meeting times
|Feb 14 - Mar 09||Tue, Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
The course is instructed through virtual classroom.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Identify staffing requirements of service facilities and workplace trends
- Determine necessary equipment and tooling requirements for a service area
- Identify service pricing and marketing strategies
- Explore operating cycles of automotive repair facilities focusing on sales and expenses
- Identify areas of business expense and ways to control it
- Forecast primary level business plan with projected sales revenue, gross and net profitability
- Analyze financial statements and their alignment to automotive business trends
Effective as of Fall 2020
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Automotive Service Management (AUTO 3160)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.