- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This hands-on course replaces COMP 3916 –Docker for DevOps as of April 2023. It is aimed at software developers who want to use current DevOps standards to reduce service downtime. Software developers who can create web-based applications, are introduced to best practices and techniques to create software services resilient to failures. COMP 4016 starts with an overview of DevOps. Labs and exercises cover the basics of Docker including creating Docker images and debugging containers. Participants are then introduced to Kubernetes, an open source platform for managing containerized workloads and services. Assignments focus on best practices to automate DevOps operations to reduce on-call work, and how to leverage Kubernetes self-healing features. There is a focus on the use of automatic scalers to react to bursts of traffic and monitor the current state of the service. YAML (a data-serialization language) is used configure Kubernetes and to program running services. Students practice how to automate typical human elements and inputs to apply different DevOps concepts to a running service. COMP 4016 is an elective course the CST FLEX Diploma and several BCIT Computing Associate Certificates. DevOps students should also consider completing COMP 2833 - Agile Scrum Methods, as these are related skills. Upon completion, successful students will have working knowledge of DevOps. They will be able to use Docker and Kubernetes to orchestrate automation, to reduce costs and downtime for software as a service. Students without the specific BCIT prerequisites, who have equivalent knowledge of Software Application Development with Node.js and or Java Web or ASP are welcome to apply.
Below is one offering of COMP 4016 for the Winter 2024 term.
Wed Jan 10 - Wed Mar 27 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 91633
- Domestic fees $466.11International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 10 - Mar 27||Wed||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for Departmental approval. Include your Student number (A0#) and COMP__ and preferred CRN __ and Program Declaration____. Course is 36 hours synchronous online classes. Late registration is not permitted.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use Docker-Desktop and the command line to develop Docker images and Kubernetes containers.
- Debug containers and manage the cycle of a container with Docker.
- Work with a container registry to push and pull images.
- Create a local cluster to run containerized applications.
- Use Kubernetes Deployments to deploy and run software.
- Describe running services using Kubernetes Service and Ingress.
- Use Kubernetes Stateful Sets and Volumes to manage persistent data stores.
- Create Horizontal Pod AutoScalers to scale up resources required for bursts of traffic.
- Define logging and metrics for monitoring software services.
- Create monitors and alarms for a smooth on-call experience.
- Automate human input out of DevOps operations to reduce on-call time.
- Describe techniques for secure management using Kubernetes Secrets.
- Use command line to explore Kubernetes issues and debug running services.
Effective as of Winter 2023
Applied DevOps with Kubernetes (COMP 4016) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Applied DevOps with Kubernetes (COMP 4016)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.