This course will develop understanding of the relationship of effective safety programs and successful aviation operations with a focus on accident prevention and the associated concepts of risk management. Topics will include aviation safety programs, reporting systems, audits, accident/ incident investigation techniques, and a review of Canadian Aviation Regulations related to Emergency planning and response.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
At the end of this course the student will be able to:
- Describe and define the six elements of a Safety Management System (SMS) culture.
- Explain the concept of assessing and managing acceptabele levels of risk.
- Assess risk within the context of a Safety Management System.
- Describe the typical policies and procedures of an Airport Safety Action Program (ASAP).
- Identify the components and procedures for conducting regular airside safety inspections.
- Describe the medical facilities and services appropriate for a given airport.
- Describe how to safely approach and enter an aircraft when under emergency conditions.
- Describe all the roles, responsibilities and actions of each emergency response agency for ditching, crash on and off airport, hazardous material spills, aircraft and structural fires, high jacking, security breach, bomb threats or sabotage to facilities or aircraft.
- Describe the structure and format of an Airport Emergency Response Plan (AERP).
- Research and develop and AERP outline.
- Explain how to comply with Canadian Aviation Regulations, subpart 302,303, and 308.
- Outline an aircraft removal plan including associated equipment and processes.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2007
Airport Safety and Emergency Preparedness (AVAO 3320) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Transportation
- Airport Operations
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Airport Safety and Emergency Preparedness (AVAO 3320)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.