This hands-on course follows on from COMP 2833, and builds on the content of the Scrum Guide. Students who have experience applying Agile Scrum Methods and the Scrum Framework will use integrated case studies for Agile Business Systems Analysis. COMP 2836 assumes student participation in exercises and simulations within the Scrum and Kanban frameworks. Topics include: forming self-directed teams, understanding team dynamics and Agile coaching. In class exercises include applying Agile Project Leadership styles through role-play in actual teams. Participants learn to embrace the continual flow of changing requirements as well as how to scale the agile techniques to apply Scrum to large-scale and geographically distributed projects. Continuous collaboration with the product owner and the self-directed Agile Project Leaders team is reinforced. As an added bonus, this course helps students prepare to challenge the Certified Scrum Product Owner®(PSPO1), certification exam from Scrum.org (additional cost). Students engage in delivering business value to clients with production ready concepts early and throughout the project. COMP 2836 is a required course in the Agile Development Associate Certificate and is an elective in the Computer Systems Technology (CST FLEX) Diploma. Upon completion, successful students will have gained significant experience with Agile Analysis methods, techniques and best practices as a Scrum Product Owner, working on Agile teams. This course will be offered once per year in the winter (January) term, online.
- 60% in COMP 2833
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful compleltion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Define and perform the role of an Agile Business Analyst (BA) Product Owner on any Agile IT team.
- Identify the appropriate Agile approaches, key principles, practices and terminology required for the elicitation of requirements for the business solution.
- Generate an Agile Business Start-up.
- Plan and document a product for the start-up using Agile techniques.
- Create a light-weight Business Case requesting project funding.
- Create a light-weight Agile Project Charter to set the vision, mission, goals, and objectives for the product.
- Apply the Agile process of progressive elaboration to iteratively and incrementally define requirements on throughout an Agile project.
- Write user stories using the User Story Mapping technique, and then decompose them to their appropriate levels of detail during an iteration. and model the derived user stories with simple lightweight graphical methods.
- Practice how to use techniques to effectively engage the entire team during the requirements elicitation process.
- Lead the Scrum Review meeting.
- Apply aspects of the Agile BA process working with a geographically dispersed team.
- Manage customer expectations and continued collaboration.
- Ensure that Agile projects and products provide the defined business value.
- Facilitate and maintain the discipline required for each of the 6 key Scrum ceremonies.
- Describe the difference between Project Leadership and Project Management, with a focus on Servant-Leadership.
- Apply servant-leadership techniques to address the complexity of creating and then maintaining a high performing Scrum team.
- Modify the process to address weak points through the facilitation of continual iteration retrospectives and knowledge gained from prior iterations.
- Scale Scrum to large, multi-continent projects with team sizes in the hundreds.
Effective as of Winter 2023
Agile Product Owner (COMP 2836) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Agile Development
Associate Certificate Part-time
- Computer Systems
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Agile Product Owner (COMP 2836)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.