This course enables students to effectively identify and utilize the complex systems and applications used in the accounting sector. Students will gain hands-on knowledge that will enable them to analyze and implement accounting systems within the framework of modern business environments, including privacy, security, and control systems needed to ensure client confidentiality and strategic advantage through the use of IT. This course qualifies as a prerequisite for entrance into the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) Professional Education Program (PEP).
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of ACCG 5150 for the Fall 2022 term.
Thu Sep 01 - Thu Dec 08 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 44206
Class meeting times
|Sep 01 - Dec 08||Thu||18:00 - 22:00||Burnaby|
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course fulfills the CPA requirement for Information Technology. This course CANNOT be transferred into the Accounting or Finance diploma. This is a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) course. Students are required to use their own laptop during class time. Please ensure you bring a laptop to every class. Plug-in outlets will be provided at most stations in classrooms, but not in all classrooms, so please ensure you have at least 3 hours of battery life available at the beginning of each class. The recommended computer requirements for the School of Business and Media can be found here: www.bcit.ca/files/business/pdf/bcit-sobm-byod.pdf. Information about student discounts on technology products can be found here: www.bcit.ca/it-services/student-discounts/. A desktop computer is not suitable for this course.
This course offering has been cancelled. Please check this page for other currently available offerings or subscribe to receive email updates.
Below is one offering of ACCG 5150 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Mon May 01 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 90429
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - May 01||Mon||18:00 - 22:00||Burnaby SE06 Rm. 102|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
This is a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) course. Students are required to use their own laptop during class time. Computing requirements for the School of Business and Media can be found here: www.bcit.ca/files/business/pdf/bcit-sobm-byod.pdf. Information about student discounts on technology products can be found here: www.bcit.ca/it-services/student-discounts/. A desktop computer is not suitable for this course. Class WILL NOT be held on Monday, Feb. 20th (Family Day) & Monday, April 10th (Easter Monday).
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
ANALYZE BUSINESS SYSTEMS
- Contrast general Business Information Systems & Architectures
- Differentiate the nature, type, and uses of information within an entity
- Evaluate processing modes (batch, online, etc.)
- Outline the types of networks (local area, wide area, wireless)
- Select key hardware components of a system
- Combine software systems, including operating systems and communication systems
- Differentiate multiple types of application software
- Select web-based applications
- Propose open-source, in-house, and proprietary application solutions
- Construct MS Access databases to organize data
CATEGORIZE SECURITY AND CONTROL COMPONENTS
- Assess the role of IT security in the business
- Demonstrate data integrity, privacy, confidentiality, and security principles
- Propose security components of a system
- Categorize multiple levels of controls (access, application, system)
- Contrast automated controls vs. manual controls
- Evaluate processing controls and program change controls
- Implement trust services (Web and System)
- Interpret the role of IT in information reporting, including real-time access, remote access, information dashboards, spreadsheets, report generation, and XBRL (eXtensible Business Reporting Language)
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2015
Accounting Information Systems (ACCG 5150) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Professional Accounting
Advanced Diploma Full-time/Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Accounting Information Systems (ACCG 5150)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.