- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience by providing further training in 5th Class power engineering subject matter. Upon successful completion of this course, participants will have sufficient knowledge to challenge the 5th Class certificate examinations administered under the provincial regulation authority (as described in the BC Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation www.bclaws.gov.bc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/17_104_2004 ) Topics include: Administration and mechanical drawings; Act and Codes; Applied science; Safety; Welding and plumbing; Pumps, Piping and valves; Boiler details, fittings and controls; Fuels and Combustion; Boiler operation, maintenance and water treatment; Heating systems and human comfort; Refrigeration and air conditioning systems, auxiliaries and controls; Air compression, Electricity within the scope of 5th Class.
- This is a specialized subject requiring departmental approval to register.
Below is one offering of POWR 1210 for the Winter 2024 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 19834
- Domestic fees $421.41International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion of this course, the students will be able to:
- Fulfill the Interprovincial examination requirements within the scope of 5th Class in the subjects of:
- Applied science; the BC Act & Regulations; Codes; basic design of heating boilers; boiler fittings; fuels and combustion; boiler controls; boiler operation and maintenance; feedwater treatment; pumps, valves and piping; environmental comfort, heating systems; electricity; plumbing; safety; air compression; basic design of power boilers.
- Describe the construction, safe operation and minor repairs of commercial building and light industrial heating plant equipment.
Note: A copy of the reference syllabus for Fifth Class Power Engineer's Examination can be sourced from SOPEEC (https://www.sopeec.org/syllabus/fifth-class/)
Effective as of Fall 2023
Interested in being notified about future offerings of 5th Class (POWR 1210)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.