- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course has been replaced by XZEB 1130 Airtightness and Low-TEDI Enclosures Lab for Zero Energy/Emissions and Passive House Buildings. This lab course will allow students to practice construction of various high performance assembly details to meet the requirements of the Upper Steps of the BC Energy Step Code and the Passive House standard. Students have already developed a foundational understanding of high performance assemblies through pre-requisite courses. With eight hours in the BCIT High Performance Lab, students will work through a number of hands-on lab ZEB: Assemblies Labstations to build, test, or evaluate various assemblies using a range of approaches and materials. Lab activities will cover various approaches and details for foundations, above and below grade walls, roofs, interfaces, windows, balconies, penetrations, and more. An introduction to working with low-embodied carbon insulation materials will be provided. Builders, tradespeople, insulators, designers, building officials, and energy advisors would benefit from this course.
- This course has been retired and is no longer offered. Find other Flexible Learning courses that may interest you.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Compare material properties (insulation, fasteners, thermal bridging components, etc.) which are part of the thermal barrier.
- Identify construction details that will help protect the thermal barrier over the life of the building.
- Identify construction details and materials to mitigate moisture and water risks with various highly insulated assemblies.
- Interpret details on drawings.
- Develop a construction plan for the sequencing and installation of a thermal barrier system.
- Demonstrate the technical skills to execute correct installation of various split-insulated assembly types and complete exterior finishing details.
- Be familiar with thermal bridging properties of materials and their potential role in addressing problematic construction details.
Effective as of Fall 2021
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Zero Energy Building Enclosures: Assemblies Lab (for Residential Buildings) (CESA 1121)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.