This is an introduction to using XML (Extensible Markup Language) to enhance Web page design and for e-commerce applications. Topics include the structuring of an XML document, transforming an XML document into XHTML using XSL (Extensible StyleSheet Language) and XPath, creating a DTD (Document Type Definition) and an XML Schema to define the elements and attributes which are valid in a XML document. The course also introduces using XML in a Web publishing environment.
- 50% in MDIA 2205
Below is one offering of MDIA 4305 for the Winter 2023 term.
Tue Jan 10 - Tue Mar 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 46328
Class meeting times
|Jan 10 - Mar 28||N/A||N/A||Online|
Mary Anne Conforti
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Pre-requisite: MDIA 1205 and MDIA 2205 or equivalent. This course will be delivered entirely online, however, is an asynchronous course which does not require that you meet each week at a specific time. You will be expected to meet assignment deadlines according to the schedule on the course outline and directions of the instructor.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Identify and use syntax appropriate to well-formed XML files
- Correctly employ XSL StyleSheets and XPath to transform an XML file into XHTML for display on a web page
- Use routines such as sorting, filters, iterations, conditional statements, and templates appropriate to XSL StyleSheets
- Construct a DTD, and validate an XML document against the DTD
- Construct a Schema, and validate an XML document against the Schema
- Use an XML editor
Effective as of Fall 2013
XML in Web Publishing (MDIA 4305) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Web Technologies
Interested in being notified about future offerings of XML in Web Publishing (MDIA 4305)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.