In this course students use the WordPress dashboard to install and customize existing WordPress themes, add and activate plug-ins, and modify widgets to quickly and efficiently develop template driven websites. Students will convert HTML websites into WordPress templates and integrate WordPress with custom websites as a Content Management System. Students will install WordPress on a local host and migrate content between local and hosted servers; and look behind the scenes of a functioning website to examine concepts such as cPanel, database creation, and phpMyAdmin to set up and manage their own hosted WordPress website. The course will be delivered through a series of video notes.
- 50% in MDIA 1205† († may be taken concurrently)
Below is one offering of MDIA 3209 for the Winter 2023 term.
Tue Jan 10 - Tue Mar 28 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 82196
Class meeting times
|Jan 10 - Mar 28||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Pre-requisite: MDIA 1205 or equivalent. This course will be delivered entirely online, however, is an asynchronous course which does not require that you meet each week at a specific time. You will be expected to meet assignment deadlines according to the schedule on the course outline and directions of the instructor.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate use of the WordPress interface
- Modify existing WordPress templates with the WordPress Dashboard
- Add and Edit Pages, Posts, menus and media on your website
- Run WordPress offline, using Bitnami WordPress Stack
- Use cPanel to create a database and install WordPress on your own server
- Enable WordPress Multi-site, to run multiple unique websites off of a single WordPress installation
- Install themes and plugins to enhance your content
- Migrate WordPress sites from your local host to your server, using phpMyAdmin
- Modify existing themes with custom CSS styles
- Set up WordPress as a Content Management System
- Create custom WordPress templates with Content Management System Components
Effective as of Winter 2016
WordPress and CMS (MDIA 3209) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of WordPress and CMS (MDIA 3209)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.