This course is the culmination of the Associate Certificate program. As a major task in this course, learners will be required to locate a person or organization desiring a website and design and develop a pro bono (i.e., free) website for them. Other related tasks will include storyboarding the site, costing and contracting issues, and designing the client site (including creating a domain name for the client, mounting the site using a commercial ISP, and registering the site with search services). Other topics in the course include creating a business plan (including a strategic marketing plan), setting up a company in British Columbia, and site maintenance and related topics.
- 50% in MDIA 1205† († may be taken concurrently)
Below is one offering of MDIA 4207 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 13 - Tue Nov 29 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 38372
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Nov 29||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course will be delivered entirely online, however, is an asynchronous course which does not require that you meet each week at a specific time. You will be expected to meet assignment deadlines according to the schedule on the course outline and directions of the instructor.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Apply the steps necessary to locate a client
- Prepare a detailed storyboard for a website in consultation with the client
- Outline a plan for negotiating a contract
- Calculate an appropriate hourly fee for Web design
- Prepare a scale of fees for service
- Establish a job cost for a project
- Describe the steps to take in forming a company in B.C.
- Create a business plan (including marketing)
- Articulate a complete site as negotiated with the client
- Create a domain name for the client
- Mount the site using a commercial ISP
- Register the site with search services
Effective as of Fall 2013
Web Design Major Project (MDIA 4207) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Web Design Major Project (MDIA 4207)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.