This course establishes a working knowledge of the specific provisions that are unique to the Vancouver Building By-law (VBBL). The course builds on the provisions of the latest edition of the British Columbia Building Code. It provides the student with the additional code requirements for the design and construction of buildings in the City of Vancouver. The course will cover all of the unique to Vancouver provisions in Book I of the VBBL. The course will provide a comprehensive overview of the administrative requirements, specific requirements for alterations to existing buildings including the Upgrade Mechanism Model, energy requirements for new and existing buildings, adaptable housing and enhanced accessibility requirements, and specific sprinkler, spatial, fire department access, washroom, occupancy classification requirements and safety measures at construction sites. This course will be of interest to persons involved in the design and construction of buildings in the City of Vancouver.
- 50% in BLDG 1830
Below is one offering of BLDG 1845 for the Fall 2022 term.
Mon Oct 17 - Mon Nov 21 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 43199
Class meeting times
|Oct 17 - Nov 21||Mon||18:45 - 21:45||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
***This is not a self-paced course. There will be specific time lines for assignments and exams.*** You will require a stable internet connection, a laptop or desktop computer for this course. You must also have an e-mail address and access to a computer capable of downloading basic documents. Students will participate in weekly "Virtual Classroom" sessions, per the above class schedule. Important course information will be sent to registered students closer to course start date. Make sure your email address on your student account is correct and up to date.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the unique provisions of the 2014 Vancouver Building By-law.
- Determine and apply the unique provisions of the 2014 Vancouver Building By-law to new buildings and new work.
- Determine and apply the Vancouver Upgrade Mechanism Model for renovations, changes of major occupancies and additions to existing buildings.
- Determine and apply the 2014 Vancouver Building By-law requirements for energy efficiency, adaptable housing and enhanced accessibility to new and existing buildings.
- Determine and apply the 2014 Vancouver Building By-law administrative requirements for the building permit application, permit, construction and occupancy stages of a building project.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Vancouver Building By-law (BLDG 1845) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Vancouver Building By-law (BLDG 1845)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.