This is a 24-hour clinical course and is a mandatory component for students to successfully complete the 3-credit Breastfeeding Experience course. During this clinical component, students will have the opportunity to apply, integrate and build upon the knowledge and understanding acquired from NSPN 7155. The clinical experience will be organized by faculty and may include an instructor or preceptor-led arrangement preferably in the hospital and community clinical settings.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
In this course, learners will have opportunities to use the processes of critical thinking, systematic inquiry, communication, collaboration, leadership and professionalism. Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Reflect on any personal barriers and biases that may impact supporting breastfeeding families.
- Utilize women/family-centered care principles to build therapeutic relationships with breastfeeding women, infants, their families and other members of the health care team.
- Access multiple sources of knowledge to inform clinical decisions and nursing care for breastfeeding women, infants and their families.
- Apply accurate knowledge and demonstrate a safe and competent skill set when supporting breastfeeding women and infants.
- Provide breastfeeding women and infants with individualized support when facing challenges and barriers.
- Develop an understanding of hospital and community breastfeeding resources.
- Develop and utilize critical inquiry to reflect on practice and learning.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2017
The Breastfeeding Experience Clinical (NSPN 7156) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of The Breastfeeding Experience Clinical (NSPN 7156)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.