Enables students to demonstrate their ability in presenting technical data in logical form. Report topics may be from any area of the student's work associated with the general field of Engineering Technology. Students initially submit a preliminary outline of their report for assessment and approval by a tutor familiar with the technological area. The final report is analyzed and assessed for accuracy and form of presentation by the tutor and the Communications Department.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
Module 1 - Getting Started
- Describe the CCTT guidelines for a technological research report.
- Select a suitable topic for either theoretical or practical research.
- Write a suitable purpose statement for your report.
- Get approval from your course instructor for your topic, purpose statement and research plan.
Module 2 - Collecting Data for The Formal Research Report
- Record and classify your new data.
- Design your own test measurements or experiment.
- Obtain help and information from people around you.
- Obtain unpublished and published written material.
- Obtain periodical literature related to your topic.
- Keep a record of all the sources of your data.
Module 3 - Organizing Data for The Formal Research Report
- Draft an outline and number the headings in it.
- Convert data collected by source to data organized by outline.
- Select organizational patterns appropriate to your report, be it 'theoretical' or 'practical'.
Module 4 - Writing the Introduction and Body
- Write the first draft of the introduction and body of your report.
- Include appropriate illustrations.
- Revise the introduction and body.
- Revise paragraphs.
- Revise sentences.
- Edit and proofread the introduction and body.
Module 5 - Preparing the Supplemental Parts
- Prepare the supplemental parts of the report.
Module 6 - Packaging Your Report
- Professionally package your report.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Technical Report (TSYH 4199)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.