The course provides seafarers employed in any capacity on board a ship, the essential practical skills and theoretical knowledge to react efficiently in the correct manner during emergency situations, take measures appropriate to his/her own survival and to the survival of others. This course meets the requirements of STCW 95 Convention (A-VI/1-1) and is mandatory for all seafaring personnel.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Correctly wear a life jacket.
- Correctly wear and use an immersion suit.
- Swim with lifejacket correctly worn.
- Keep afloat without a life jacket.
- Board a survival craft from the poolside and water while wearing a life jacket.
- Right an inverted life raft while wearing a life jacket.
- Take actions on boarding a survival craft for survival.
- Operate survival craft equipment.
- Operate location devices and radio equipment
Effective as of Fall 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of STCW Personal Survival Techniques (XMED 1011)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.