This course provides an introduction to entrepreneurship for students wishing to start their own business or who wish to learn about fundamental entrepreneurial skills that will help them with their career. Application of these skills can occur in many environments outside of the startup of a business, including working as an independent contractor, an employee, a manager or team leader, or the management team of a large private or public organization. Employers look for self-starting professionals who can work independently and innovate on the job. This course offers full coverage of the foundation skills for today’s entrepreneur who is starting a business or building a career. The course follows a cycle starting with the new business idea and moving forward to the implementation of the business opportunity. Several key entrepreneurial skills are covered, including: (1) how to identify and define a new business idea; (2) how to evaluate a new business opportunity; (3) financial assessment of a new idea; and (4) how to assess market potential of a new idea. Other topics include how to set up a business (incorporation, proprietorship, partnership), business insurance, business taxes, working with partners and an introduction to financing sources.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- This course has been retired and is no longer offered. Find other Flexible Learning courses that may interest you.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate new business opportunities
- Create a cash flow projection for a new business opportunity
- Evaluate funding sources for a new business
- Create a checklist of venture start up tasks
- Create a presentation for a new business opportunity
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Starting Your Own Business (VENT 1810) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Coast Capital Savings Entrepreneurial Program
Statement of Completion Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Starting Your Own Business (VENT 1810)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.