- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Students will be introduced to the theories of metals and be able to recognize fire hazards, and have knowledge of fire equipment and safe working practices aboard a ship, as well as having a knowledge of the pollution regulations. They will acquire an understanding of pumps, valves, and pumping systems. Knowledge will be gained on the subjects of power transmission, steering, underwater fittings, electricity, hydraulics, pneumatics, and deck machinery. Furthermore, an understanding of diesels and diesel systems will be included.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will have a knowledge of:
- Materials used on board vessels for construction of various components.
- Fire hazards on board a vessel, and operate the fire-fighting equipment fitted on board vessels.
- Performing tasks on board a vessel in a safe manner.
- The Regulations for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships and for Dangerous Chemicals.
- The installation and operation of pumps on board a vessel including the various piping systems including the cooling system.
- Shafting and power transmission on board a vessel.
- The construction, operation, and maintenance of steering gears.
- Fittings of a vessel located below the waterline.
- Hydraulic installations and deck machinery fitted on board a vessel.
- Usage and storage of fuels and lubricants on board a vessel.
- The installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical systems on board vessels.
- Pneumatic systems as fitted to vessels.
- The construction and operation of an internal combustion engine.
- Diligent surveillance of machinery on board a vessel.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2011
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Small Vessel Machinery Operator Certificate Prep (MENG 0130)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.