This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the British Columbia Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's Examination for Part B - Paper 2 of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. On successful completion of this course, as well as courses: POWR 1219, POWR 1220, POWR 1221, POWR 1222, and POWR 1224, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of the Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate, maintain and/or manage various industrial facilities, plant processes and associated equipment within the scope of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include: Power Plant Systems, Control Instrumentation, Fuels & Combustion and Environmental Protection.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of POWR 1223 for the Winter 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 19388
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
No online or phone registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the examination requirements for 'Part B - Paper 2' in the subjects of: Power Plant Systems, Control Instrumentation, Fuels & Combustion and Environmental Protection including the following.
- Describe in detail the layout, operation and integration of boiler auxiliary systems including: feed water, fuel, steam piping, condensate, cooling water & waste/effluent.
- Describe the devices that monitor and measure: pressure, temperature, flow and level including their proper placement, installation, inspection, calibration & maintenance and operation/function.
- Describe final control elements, valve types, actuator devices and principles of operation.
- Describe boiler feedwater control systems, superheater and de-superheater systems.
- Describe the principle modes of automatic control, types of controllers and control systems including DCS and PLC.
- Describe fuel classification, combustion chemistry, furnace design, draft systems, various fuel firing equipment and all ancillary equipment related to the different fuel types.
- Describe combustion control systems and their operation.
- Describe procedures, equipment and protocol for monitoring, maintaining and controlling all types of emissions.
Note: A copy of the Revised Reference Syllabus for the New Second Class Power Engineer's Examinations can be sourced from the BC Safety Authority website www.safetyauthority.ca
Effective as of Fall 2006
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Second Class Part B Paper 2 (POWR 1223)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.