This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the British Columbia Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's Examination for Part A - Paper 2 of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. On successful completion of this course, as well as courses POWR 1219, POWR 1221, POWR 1222, POWR 1223, and POWR 1224, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of the Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate, maintain and/or manage various industrial facilities, plant processes and related equipment within the scope of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include: Thermodynamics, Metallurgy and Testing of Materials.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of POWR 1220 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 24994
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
NO ONLINE OR PHONE registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance Generate book list to view/order the required material.
Online registration for this course offering is not available. However, you can still register by phone.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the examination requirements for 'Part A - Paper 2' in the subjects of: Thermodynamics, Metallurgy and Testing of Materials.
- Describe principles and apply equations to determine unknown variables in calculation problems relating to Thermodynamics I including: heat, thermal expansion & heat transfer.
- Describe the principles and apply equations to determine unknown variables in calculation problems relating to Thermodynamics II including: laws of perfect gases, heat and work relationships, expansion and compression of perfect gases, thermodynamics of steam, entropy & heat engines.
- Describe the basic properties of ferrous and nonferrous materials.
- Describe various alloys and heat treatments and explain their impact on the characteristics of metals.
- Describe metallurgical applications and specifications relating to the construction and repair of power plants.
- Describe destructive and non-destructive testing methods and explain the various defects associated with materials and welding.
Note: A copy of the Revised Reference Syllabus for the New Second Class Power Engineer's Examinations can be sourced from the BC Safety Authority website www.safetyauthority.ca
Effective as of Fall 2006
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Second Class Part a Paper 2 (POWR 1220)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.