This course supplements a person's practical qualifying experience (as described in the British Columbia Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Regulation) by providing the theoretical training required to enable graduates to challenge the Interprovincial Standardized Power Engineer's Examination for Part A - Paper 1 of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. On successful completion of this course, as well as courses POWR 1220, POWR 1221, POWR 1222, POWR 1223, and POWR 1224, plus the requisite qualifying experience, participants will have sufficient skills and knowledge to fulfill the requirements of the Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate examinations administered under the British Columbia Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Program. Graduates should be able to apply the knowledge learned in this study program in improving their abilities to operate, maintain and/or manage various industrial facilities, plant processes and associated equipment within the scope of a Second Class Power Engineer's Certificate. Topics include: ASME Code calculations, Industrial Administration and Applied Mechanics.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of POWR 1219 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Start any time
- 52 weeks
- CRN 24992
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 52 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
NO ONLINE OR PHONE registration allowed on this section. These are specialized courses which require application approval from the Power Engineering Program Assistant via EMAIL ONLY. To receive more detailed information and application instructions, send an email requesting information for this course to: BCIT_Assistant_PowerEngineering@bcit.ca Course material is purchased separately and can be ordered through the BCIT Bookstore: www.bcitbookstore.ca/distance
Online registration for this course offering is not available. However, you can still register by phone.
Upon successful completion, course participants will be able to:
- Fulfill the examination requirements for 'Part A - Paper 1' in the subjects of: ASME Code calculations, Industrial Administration & Applied Mechanics.
- Determine, describe and calculate CSA B-51 and ASME Sections I, II, & VIII Code requirements for design, construction & repair of watertube and firetube power boilers.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the Safety Standards Act and Regulations and describe the codes, standards and best practices governing the: design, construction and modification of Power Plants.
- Describe the principles of effective plant management including: hiring, training and coaching staff, development and maintenance of plant safety, inspection & maintenance programs and planning & budgets.
- Describe principles and apply equations to determine unknown variables in calculation problems relating to the individual topics listed in the POWR Assignments File for Applied Mechanics 1, 2, 3 and 4.
Note: A copy of the Revised Reference Syllabus for the New Second Class Power Engineer's Examinations can be sourced from the BC Safety Authority website www.safetyauthority.ca
Effective as of Fall 2006
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Second Class Part A Paper 1 (POWR 1219)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.