This course covers installation, configuration, and programming for safety devices, safety controllers, and intrinsically safe devices that are widely used in industrial manufacturing and process control systems to ensure worker safety, and to protect equipment by inhibiting unwanted machine movement and preventing explosions. The student will make electrical connections to master shutdown devices that have supervised wiring including safety light curtains. A major activity will be the integration of field safety and intrinsically safe field devices into a Rockwell Guardlogix Safety PLC system.
Below is one offering of ACIM 6020 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Oct 29 - Sat Dec 10 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 47046
Class meeting times
|Oct 29 - Dec 10||Sat||07:30 - 15:00||Burnaby SE01|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
No class on Nov 12, 2022 (Remembrance Day weekend). Registration is processed on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED basis. BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of cancellation, students will received notice five business days prior to the course start. Ensure your contact information (e.g. personal email address) is current. Please send your inquiries to BCIT_ACIM@bcit.ca
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the Canadian Electrical Code to the installation of safety devices and safety controllers.
- Describe the difference between a PAC/PLC Safety Controller and a conventional PAC/PLC.
- Follow manufacturers’ instructions to install safety devices and safety controllers.
- Apply the Canadian Electrical Code—Hazardous Locations (Section 18) to specify installation materials and methods to volatile environments where intrinsically safe devices are required.
- Identify stored energy hazards in automated control systems.·
- Install intrinsically safe devices according to the instructions of the manufacturer and the Canadian Electrical Code.
Effective as of Winter 2018
Safety Controls and Intrinsically Safe Systems (ACIM 6020) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Automated Controls Installation and Maintenance
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Safety Controls and Intrinsically Safe Systems (ACIM 6020)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.