Covers research approaches appropriate for a graduation project in the area of the student's specialization. Topics include: research and data collection, literature and database searches, analytic software resources, data presentation and analysis. Various information resources will be explored such as technical society publications and the Internet.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MTEC 7090 for the Fall 2022 term.
Wed Sep 07 - Wed Nov 23 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 43310
Class meeting times
|Sep 07 - Nov 23||Wed||18:30 - 21:45||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
Also required is a Saturday 6-hour plant tour. PLEASE NOTE: This course will be delivered in an ONLINE format. Details will be provided shortly. Note: BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of a part-time studies course cancellation, you will be notified at least two business days prior to the course start. Please ensure that your contact information is current.
At the end of this course, the student will be able to:
- Relate research outcomes to the need for solutions to practical problems encountered in the workplace.
- Explain the fundamental elements of research, analysis and test methods.
- Use appropriate terminology commonly applied in the professional research environment .
- Distinguish between concepts of basic versus applied research, and explain the role of each in the workplace.
- Identify the distinguishing characteristics of both quantitative and qualitative research methods and select the best research method approach under different real-world circumstances.
- Conduct research projects with real significance and professional relevance to business needs.
- Write a research report.
- Use the concepts of:
- Research project planning.
- Survey design, appropriateness of questions.
- Practical research constrains.
- The application of design alternatives based on the use of available data.
- Suggest plan of action and alternative solutions based on research results.
Effective as of Fall 2003
Research Methods (MTEC 7090) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
Bachelor of Technology Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Research Methods (MTEC 7090)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.