This is the second of 3 Public Works Institute courses developed in conjunction with the Public Works Institute of BC. Based on the American Public Works Association (APWA) Public Works Institute Guidelines, it introduces the student to government, organizational behavior, and contract documentation. Topics covered include presentation and verbal skills, contracts and contract law, contract administration, government and community, organizational behaviour, change management, customer service, labour relations, roles and responsibilities of Local, Provincial, and Federal Government, and Worksafe BC. The course is delivered through a series of lectures, in-class exercises, and discussions.
- 50% in COMM 1103
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Communicate orally and in writing in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner, and be able to make effective presentations to a variety of individuals and groups.
- Describe the value and interrelationship of the organization?s personnel, equipment, materials, facilities, funds, and reputation and, where able to, allocate these to accomplish the organizations? objectives.
- Describe the inter-relationship of the technical, environmental, societal, and policy objectives of the organization and make decisions accordingly.
- Build trust and respect by listening to people, keeping the commitments they make, working hard to remove obstacles and clearly communicating on a consistent basis.
- Be public service oriented, act in the public interest, and demonstrate through his or her actions a belief in the value of public service.
- Employ a set of contract documents to assist in the administration of a project.
Effective as of Winter 2010
Public Works Institute 2 (INFR 1120) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Public Works Supervision
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Public Works Institute 2 (INFR 1120)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.