This is the first of 3 Public Works Institute courses in the Public Works Supervisor Associate Certificate Program. Based on the American Public Works Association (APWA) Public Works Institute Guidelines, it introduces the student to public works financial concepts, leadership, and supervision. Topics covered include an introduction to financial management, business planning, budgeting, accounting and cost control, financial reporting, leadership skills, personal development, integrity and ethics, motivation and morale, and conflict resolution. The course is delivered through a series of lectures, in-class exercises, and discussions.
- Grade 12 Graduation.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand how all parts of financial management link together as an integrated process for capital and operations planning, budgeting, developing financing strategies, developing user rates, cost control, and financial reporting.
- Understand the concepts of risk in financial management, and how financial decisions are made accordingly.
- Encourage team building within their scope of influence by encouraging employees to set common goals and work together as a cohesive unit toward meeting those goals.
- Understand the importance of and practice integrity in the workplace.
- Build trust and respect by listening to people, keeping the commitments they make, working hard to remove obstacles and clearly communicating on a consistent basis.
- Practice principles of conflict resolution in an effective manner.
- Understand and assist in implementing ongoing professional development planning for themselves and their staff.
- Empower others by granting authority and acting in a manner that encourages subordinates to make decisions and act independently, providing support as necessary to encourage responsible independent action.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2009
Public Works Institute 1 (INFR 1110) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Public Works Supervision
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Public Works Institute 1 (INFR 1110)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.