This course utilizes Excel's PowerPivot and PowerBI functionality working on skills to model different types of data and how the data is synthesized into management information. In addition to these skills, this course will dive into the issues related to big data and analyze big data so information can be integrated into the strategic decision-making process by using data visualization tools. Students will be then able to build custom dashboards to answer management problems.
- Acceptance into the Bachelor of Business Administration program.
Below is one offering of BABI 7800 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 06 - Tue Dec 13 (15 weeks)
- 15 weeks
- CRN 49541
Class meeting times
|Sep 06 - Oct 18||Tue||18:00 - 20:00||Online|
|Oct 25||Tue||18:00 - 21:00||Burnaby SE06 Rm. 205|
|Nov 01 - Dec 13||Tue||18:00 - 21:00||Online|
- Departmental approval needed
Enrollment is restricted to students accepted into the Bachelor of Business Administration Degree Program, Option 3 – Business Intelligence and Value Management. Registration approval is automatically granted upon acceptance into the program. This course is an online course with asynchronous lectures, weekly labs on Tuesdays from 1800-2000 via Zoom, and an in-person midterm exam at the Burnaby campus on October 25 from 1800-2100.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Structure data gathering to a business need.
- Utilize systems to store, edit, and retrieve required data.
- Determine best practices in data use.
- Discuss and apply ethical and legal considerations in the use of data.
- Build effective data visualizations to communicate meaning through data.
- Determine correct visual tool to analyze multiple data types.
- Perform quantitative and qualitative analyses as appropriate.
- Select tools to effectively convey meaning.
- Perform basic application use.
- Describe Business Intelligence (e.g., Online Analytical Processing or OLAP).
- Perform data analysis using MS Power BI toolset.
- Perform time series analysis (forecasting techniques).
- Apply Power BI to Data Mining and Discovery methods and use single and multiple table data sources in Power BI.
Effective as of Fall 2021
Power BI and Data Analytics (BABI 7800) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Bachelor of Business Administration
Bachelor of Business Administration Full-time/Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Power BI and Data Analytics (BABI 7800)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.