- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The focus of this course is programming, configuring and troubleshooting programmable logic controllers (PLCs) to control industrial systems. The course builds on logic, math and circuit analysis skills from previous courses and provides the background to design, program and troubleshoot many practical industrial control applications. Topics covered are: PLC architecture; discrete and analog inputs and outputs; timers and counters; feedback control; proportional-integral-derivative (PID) control; remote I/O configuration; state and sequential programming; human machine interfaces; troubleshooting; and alarm management.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion, the student will be able to:
- Describe the architecture and scan sequence of typical industrial PLCs.
- Design hardware for a PLC control system.
- Design a PLC program to control an industrial application.
- Document PLC control system design using industry standards.
- Analyze feedback control elements and systems.
- Design feedback control loops.
- Tune a PID control loop using industry standard tuning techniques.
- Develop human machine interfaces (HMIs) for different applications.
- Apply troubleshooting techniques used in industry on PLC based systems.
- Describe alarms and alarm management in an automated system.
- Implement PLC applications such as motor control systems, dynamic and regenerative braking.
- Configure communication systems to connect PLCs to other devices.
- Define PLC, DCS and SCADA systems.
Effective as of Fall 2016
PLCs, VFDs and Industrial Control (ELEX 3430) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of PLCs, VFDs and Industrial Control (ELEX 3430)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.