Planned giving typically provides organizations with their most valuable gifts, but development staff are often concerned about the level of technical knowledge needed. This course exposes the myth that the fundraiser needs to be a legal or accounting expert, and gives you the tools to quickly and easily implement your own planned giving program. You will learn about different planned giving vehicles such as bequests and life insurance; how to market the program and find donors; how to ask for and administer planned gifts; and how to develop donor relationships for maximum impact to your organization and the donors’ philanthropic goals.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of FUND 3218 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Jan 04 - Sat Mar 25 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 85290
Class meeting times
|Jan 04 - Mar 25||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
Students are permitted to register up until the first week without approval. Please note that the lecture component for this course is asynchronous; you are not required to meet each week at a specific time, however, there will be specific timelines for assignments and exams. It is important you have a stable and consistent internet connection to access course content. Course content, type and quality of assignments, and general standards for this online course are the same as classroom courses. To be successful in this online course, plan to spend 7-10 hours per week on your studies, or more for a condensed course, starting Week 1. Important course information will be sent to your myBCIT account prior to your course start date.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Create a planned giving program from scratch, or improve an existing one, for an organization of any size.
- Explain the most popular planned giving vehicles to donors and other stakeholders.
- Use a donor-centric approach to identify, solicit and steward qualified planned gift donors.
- Execute the steps needed to administer estate and planned gifts.
- Integrate planned giving with other fundraising activities in the organization.
Effective as of Fall 2017
Planned Giving (FUND 3218) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Marketing Management - Fundraising Management
Associate Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Planned Giving (FUND 3218)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.