This course introduces the fundamentals of digital photography and the basic functions of your camera. You will learn how to create photos that demonstrate proper use of the exposure triangle: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO and how to experiment with different focus and colour temperature types. You will familiarize yourself with various lenses, their functions and characteristics, and how the choice of lenses will affect your narratives. There will be assignments and activities throughout this course that will assist you in capturing high-quality images that present both your camera technique and your personal vision. Feedback will be provided with every session to improve your skillset and expand your photographic perspectives.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use the camera's manual mode successfully with a complete understanding of aperture, shutter speed and ISO
- Read the camera's meter properly and apply the appropriate exposure settings
- Enhance photographs with intriguing depth of field
- Adjust white balance by fully understanding the camera's different settings
- Utilize different types of focusing in various situations
- Develop a personal style and find the subject matter you are passionate about
Effective as of Winter 2022
Picture Perfect: Journeys in Photography (XBST 1004) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- The Art of Photography
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Picture Perfect: Journeys in Photography (XBST 1004)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.