A phenomenologic approach to family-centered care will be used to build on student’s communication, collaboration, systematic inquiry, critical thinking and professional caring abilities. This course builds on student’s philosophical and theoretical foundation when partnering with childbearing families. This online course focuses on nurse-family partnerships, and is shared among the Neonatal, Pediatric and Perinatal Nursing Specialties. Using a post-modern family framework, this course provides the opportunity to engage with a selected family in order to establish a relationship characterized by creative listening, respect for diversity, power sharing, and appreciation of own family values. Explores concepts such as family, family health, family health partnership, narrative, lived experience, meaning, context, and imagination.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
In this course, learners will have opportunities to use the processes of critical thinking, systematic inquiry, communication, collaboration, leadership and professionalism. Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Explore the concepts of health, family, family health, family health promotion and family health partnership within the context of family nursing.
- Contrast phenomenologic family nursing with traditional family nursing theory.
- Explore the process of engaging in conversations with family members.
- Analyze family members' narratives in order to illuminate patterns and themes.
- Explore the relationship between nursing theory and family nursing practice.
- Explore change theory to imagine possibilities for family-centered care within the context of family nursing practice.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2017
Pediatric Theory 3 (NSPE 7400) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Pediatric Theory 3 (NSPE 7400)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.