The ZEB Learning Centre will not be offering our hands-on CESA 1500 Passive House Tradesperson course during the Fall 2020 semester. We are offering several other courses that are fully adapted for online delivery. For more information: commons.bcit.ca/zeroenergybuildings/cesa-1500-passive-house-tradesperson-during-covid-19/. Passive House Tradesperson - Envelope Specialization is a five day course provides the knowledge and practical hands-on skills that building contractors, designers, consultants and advanced students need to build to the Passive House standard; an internationally recognized ultra-low energy standard. This course focuses on building enclosure optimization and provides a foundation in passive house principles, while stressing the importance of construction fundamentals and proper sequencing and using a variety of materials. An introduction to heat and energy recovery ventilators will be provided. *** If you work in the construction industry within the City of Vancouver you may be eligible to apply for a partially subsidized registration for ‘CESA 1500 Passive House Tradesperson course - Building Envelope Specialization’ (being sponsored by the City of Vancouver). For more information about the eligibility criteria to apply, please go to www.bcit.ca/construction/passivediscovery/
- Students should have prior knowledge/experience in the construction industry or related fields.
- This course isn't currently offered through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to
- Describe the climate-independent functional definition of a Passive House and the principles it is based on.
- Define Passive House principles: highly insulating envelope, thermal bridge free construction, airtightness, windows and solar gains, ventilation with heat recovery.
- Evaluate Passive House criteria; heating load, cooling load, annual space heating demand, annual space cooling demand, airtightness, annual primary energy demand, frequency of overheating.
- Describe Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) and other planning principles.
- Apply knowledge of the specific technical function of Passive House principles to an understanding of the building enclosure’s design and its energy efficient performance as a whole through the development of building envelope assemblies and details.
- Apply principles of airtightness in the Passive House:
- Execute correct application of airtight and moisture resistant membranes and tapes in wood-frame wall assemblies.
- Participate in blower door airtightness testing and air leakage assessment.
- Apply principles of Passive House windows:
- Demonstrate correct installation and integration of windows into the wall assembly.
- Apply U-value calculation in an assessment of overall energy performance of the building.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Passive House Tradesperson Course - Building Envelope Specialization (CESA 1500)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.