Provides a general understanding of fire alarm protection systems including both conventional and addressable systems. Discusses the purpose and specific application of the different codes and standards that regulate the industry. Introduces architectural considerations regarding fire containment. Information about testing laboratories, their procedures, testing methods and how approved materials achieve greater degrees of life safety. Other topics covered: nature of the fire, extinguishment methods, fire alarm testing methods, interpretation of drawings, specifications and other contract documents Identifying the correct method to conduct periodic inspections and tests. Completion of inspection reports will be covered, along with applicable Building Code and Fire Code requirements.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of TELC 1140 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Tue Apr 04 - Thu May 11 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 66694
Class meeting times
|Apr 04 - May 11||Tue, Thu||18:00 - 21:00||Distance|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
Classes will be synchronous online delivery where students are required to log in and attend the virtual lectures and provide real-time interaction with the instructor. Textbook required – CFAA 1 - Introduction to the Fire Detection and Alarm Industry available at the BCIT bookstore. Registration is processed on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED basis. In the event of cancellation, students will received notice three business days prior to the course start. Ensure your contact information (e.g. personal email address) is current. Please sent your inquiries to BCIT_Electrical@bcit.ca
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explain the basic components and operation of a conventional fire alarm system.
- Describe the basic components of an addressable fire alarm system.
- Outline the operation of a basic addressable fire alarm system.
- Identify the applicable Codes and Standards that apply to the inspection of fire alarm systems.
- Outline the applicable inspection and testing procedures for fire alarm systems.
- Complete the appropriate documentation and testing reports.
Effective as of Fall 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Overview of Fire Alarm Systems (TELC 1140)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.