Following on from COMP 2156, and parallel to COMP 3156, this hands-on advanced course was designed for Business Intelligence and Data Analysts. Students who already know how to use Power BI to build and publish reports begin with an in-depth introduction to the dashboard development process. COMP 3157 in-class labs and exercises focus on creating advanced user-friendly reports and dashboards. Topics include visualization best practices, misleading data visualization practices to avoid, how to manage dashboard development projects and more. There is also an in-depth explanation of the Guided Analytics Approach and Dashboard UI/UX principles are also discussed. Labs and assignments include creating advanced reports with Power BI Desktop, identifying common data visualization pitfalls and discussing methods to apply visualization best practices. Participants must provide their own current model PC capable of running Windows 10 and MS Excel, with an i5 or higher equivalent processor, 8 GB minimum RAM, and 256 GB minimum storage. High-speed internet access is needed for online sections and for homework. COMP 3157 is an elective in several BCIT Computing credentials including the CST Diploma (FLEX), and the Applied Data Analytics Certificate (ADAC). By the end of this course, successful students will be able to build innovative and accessible dashboards for various stakeholder groups.
- 60% in COMP 2156
Below is one offering of COMP 3157 for the Winter 2023 term.
Wed Feb 22 - Wed Mar 29 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 90574
Class meeting times
|Feb 22 - Mar 29||Wed||18:30 - 21:30||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Please email email@example.com for Departmental approval. Include your Student number (A0#) and COMP__ and preferred CRN __ and Program Declaration____. Course is 18 hours synchronous online classes. Late registration is not permitted.
Upon success completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the Guided Analytics Framework for dashboard design.
- Identify standard UX/UI principles for Dashboards.
- Manage dashboard projects using the Iterative Dashboard Development Methodology.
- Describe the foundations of data storytelling and create user-friendly dashboards.
- Describe the various methods for dashboard requirements gathering and best practices.
- Determine the appropriate data visualization style for the various data types and categories.
- Identify common data visualization mistakes and misleading practices.
- Properly format data visualizations for a variety of chart types.
Effective as of Fall 2022
MS Power BI Advanced Data Visualization (COMP 3157) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Computer Systems
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of MS Power BI Advanced Data Visualization (COMP 3157)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.