In this course we will deal with four broad design areas in terms of contemporary issues in web design — website usability, effective use of colour, modern trends in web design, and website accessibility (for those with disabilities). In the assignments, you will explore all of these issues by analyzing a small website from their portfolio and illustrating how the issues raised in this course could be implemented to provide a better and modern user experience. You will be given a number of tools and checklists to use in analyzing websites that will help you enhance the user experience.
- 50% in MDIA 2205
Below is one offering of MDIA 4302 for the Fall 2022 term.
Tue Sep 13 - Tue Nov 29 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 43524
Class meeting times
|Sep 13 - Nov 29||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This course will be delivered entirely online, however, is an asynchronous course which does not require that you meet each week at a specific time. You will be expected to meet assignment deadlines according to the schedule on the course outline and directions of the instructor.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the concept of usability for web pages.
- Describe how a website must be organized to meet usability standards.
- Identify ten guidelines for navigation usability for websites.
- Name ten guidelines for homepage usability for websites.
- Analyze a website’s usability using a usability checklist.
- Enhance the design of web pages through effective colour themes.
- Assess the impact of the effect of colour symbolism (especially by culture) in website design.
- Determine the issues a given website has with respect to individuals with a given colour deficiency.
- List three or more modern trends that would have a significant impact on a selected website, given ten modern trends in web design.
- Measure the accessibility of a website using one or more of five recommended tools.
- Design an accessible website using three or more given accessibility guidelines.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Modern Web Design (MDIA 4302) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Web Technologies
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Modern Web Design (MDIA 4302)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.