This instructor lead, hands-on course continues on from COMP 2010. Students must have prior knowledge and skills at using the basic and intermediate features of MS Word before starting this Advanced MS Word course. Participants start at an intermediate level and progress to expert in just 6 lessons while practicing how to manage a variety of documents. COMP 2361 focuses on the best practices, time saving techniques and how to use MS Word to create professional documents. Lectures, lab exercises in class and assignments outside of class are used for an applied learning experience. Advanced topics include: automating a table of contents; building an index; tracking changes; mail merging; developing templates and forms; automating tasks with building blocks and macros. COMP 2361 is an elective in Applied Computer Information Systems (ACIS) Associate Certificate. By the end of this course, successful students will be expert end users of MS Word. COMP 2361 will only be offered once per year in the September (fall) or January (winter) term.
- 60% in COMP 2010
Below is one offering of COMP 2361 for the Fall 2023 term.
Wed Oct 25 - Wed Nov 29 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 36401
Class meeting times
|Oct 25 - Nov 29||Wed||18:30 - 21:30||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Course is 18 hours synchronous online classes. Students must provide their own PC or laptop with Windows 10 or 11 and Excel 2021 or Microsoft 365 in order to participate in this course successfully. Late registration is not permitted.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Add references to documents: table of contents, footnotes / endnotes, citations and bibliography, captions, index and create cross-references.
- Use the collaborative features in MS Word: comments, track changes, and compare documents.
- Use a mail merge to create and personalize form letters, envelopes or mailing labels.
- Create templates and electronic forms to automate document creation.
- Use navigation techniques, shortcuts, macros, and building blocks efficiently.
- Customize the MS Word environment.
Effective as of Fall 2020
Microsoft Word Advanced (COMP 2361) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Applied Computer Information Systems (ACIS)
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Microsoft Word Advanced (COMP 2361)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.