- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
A tuition free mathematics course for Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents interested in pursuing careers in the trades. This course will introduce you to core mathematical concepts used throughout the trades. Topics covered will include whole numbers, fractions, decimals, ratios, percentages, and systems of linear measurement. The course is ideal for the self-directed learner who wants to improve their general mathematical competence and for those preparing to write the BCIT Trades Entry Mathematics Assessment. During the course, you will have access to the instructor via phone, e-mail, BCIT Learning Hub, FaceTime, and drop-in tutorial services at BCIT Burnaby Campus within the Trades Learning Centre. Please note: In addition to the final exam that is a mandatory part of the course, students who successfully complete the course will be eligible to write the Trades Entry Mathematics Assessment at no additional charge.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of ACES 0015 for the Fall 2023 term.
Start any time
- 12 weeks
- CRN 46619
- Domestic fees $452.48International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Continuous Entry, Distance or Online
This is an online learning course. Start any time. You have 12 weeks from the date you register to complete this course.
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
The tuition portion of this course is free for Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents. Please note: ancillary fees such as Student Association fees, etc. will be charged and must be paid. If you are eligible for free tuition and are registering through the online system, your account will be adjusted within 2 business days after registration. Please log into your my.bcit.ca account 2 business days after registration to make a payment for the ancillary fees. This payment is required in order for you to secure a seat in the course. Failure to pay will result in the course being dropped without notice. Students may register at any time (from September 1 to October 25) and have 8 weeks from the date of registration to complete the course. The course may be completed in as little as 40 hours.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Appreciate the relationship between mathematics and the trades;
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals;
- Convert between fractions, decimals, percentages, and ratios;
- Use Imperial and Metric systems of linear measurement;
- Use a micrometer and Vernier caliper; and,
- Apply appropriate mathematical concepts to solve practical problems.
Effective as of Winter 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Mathematics for the Trades - Foundations (ACES 0015)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.