A tuition free mathematics course for Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents interested in pursuing careers in the trades. This course will introduce you to core mathematical concepts used throughout the trades. Topics covered will include whole numbers, fractions, decimals, ratios, percentages, and systems of linear measurement. The course is ideal for the self-directed learner who wants to improve their general mathematical competence and for those preparing to write the BCIT Trades Entry Mathematics Assessment. During the course, you will have access to the instructor via phone, e-mail, BCIT Learning Hub, FaceTime, and drop-in tutorial services at BCIT Burnaby Campus within the Trades Learning Centre. Please note: In addition to the final exam that is a mandatory part of the course, students who successfully complete the course will be eligible to write the Trades Entry Mathematics Assessment at no additional charge.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Appreciate the relationship between mathematics and the trades;
- Add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals;
- Convert between fractions, decimals, percentages, and ratios;
- Use Imperial and Metric systems of linear measurement;
- Use a micrometer and Vernier caliper; and,
- Apply appropriate mathematical concepts to solve practical problems.
Effective as of Winter 2019
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Mathematics for the Trades - Foundations (ACES 0015)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.