- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
This course will provide an overall understanding of the principles, functions, and practical application of Maritime Law in the Shipping Industry. During the course, students will study the contractual framework with existing regulations, interactions of international legal systems, and the importance of understanding English Law for Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Techniques, including Commercial Mediation.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of MRBU 0135 for the Winter 2024 term.
Sat Jan 13 - Sat Jan 20 (1 week)
- 1 week
- CRN 91776
- Domestic fees $537.30International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees.
Class meeting times
|Jan 13 - Jan 20||Sat||09:00 - 11:00||Online|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
- Internet delivery format.
- International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. Exact cost will be calculated upon completion of registration.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the function, scope, and context of Maritime Law.
- Have an understanding of the standard contracts for the carriage of goods by sea (Charter Parties, Bills of Lading).
- Have an understanding of the owners' and charterers' obligations under Maritime Law.
- Have an understanding of actual Marine Law case studies related to cargo claims, salvage, general average, towage, ports and pilotage, collisions, and limitation of liability.
- Understand how Maritime Law is used to create a framework for agreements and contracts used in international shipping.
- Understand the application of Maritime Law to solve disputes and to provide practical solutions.
Effective as of Fall 2023
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Marine Law (MRBU 0135)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.