Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a method used to calculate climate change and other environmental impacts from a product life cycle perspective (i.e. from cradle-to-grave, or from raw material extraction to product manufacturing, use and final disposal). This course focuses on building familiarity with the standards and applications of the LCA method through case studies. Students will also learn how to plan and conduct simple LCA studies, collaborate effectively with other professionals, and speak knowledgeably as advocates of best-practice approaches.
- Acceptance into the Bachelor of Business Administration program.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term through BCIT Part-time Studies. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 14000-series LCA standards.
- Advocate for ISO LCA method framework for assessing impact.
- Describe requirements for conducting a LCA study.
- Develop a goal and scope definition for a LCA study.
- Utilize life cycle inventory (LCI) and life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) results to inform evidence-based business decisions.
- Explain impact assessment methods and categories.
- Develop simple LCA studies on products, buildings and organizations.
- Compare and critique conclusions, limitations, and recommendations of a LCA.
- Describe how to apply LCA results to identify environmental hotspots in value chains, track environmental performance over time, support strategic decisions, and inform corporate social responsibility reporting.
- Identify major organizations and markets involved in the development of LCA practice.
Effective as of Winter 2022
Life Cycle Assessment for Business (BSUS 7400) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Bachelor of Business Administration
Bachelor of Business Administration Full-time/Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Life Cycle Assessment for Business (BSUS 7400)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.