This hands-on application development course was designed for experienced object oriented programmers. Students must have prior experience developing a software application, they are also required to work in teams and participate in online activities. The focus of COMP 3912 is on the user interface components of current popular iOS business applications. In order to follow this course participants need to be avid users of iPhones. This is a bring your own devices (BYOD) course, students must provide their own Mac computer with OS X Catalina or higher, plus a current iOS mobile device, ideally an iPhone. BCIT Computing students who do not currently own a current MacBook are entitled to purchase one from Apple Canada at a student discount. Participants have access to Apple resources for the development and testing of iOS applications during this course. Students design and develop apps for the current iOS platform to Apple standards. Starting with an intensive overview of the Swift programming language, students are introduced to the iOS development platform via in class labs and exercises. Topics include; Xcode, Cocoa Touch API, Swift, SwiftUI, troubleshooting and debugging, Git source control basics, memory management, user input and gesture recognition. Additional topics include: Auto Layout, data persistence including Core Data, NSUserDefaults and Plists. Testing, networking, SpriteKit, Core Location and multi-threading are also discussed. Upon successful completion of COMP 3912 students will be able to design and build a commercial quality iOS application for iPhone. This course will be offered once per year in the spring (April or May) term.
Below is one offering of COMP 3912 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Sat Apr 22 - Sat Jul 22 (12 weeks)
- 12 weeks
- CRN 61114
Class meeting times
|Apr 22 - Jul 22||Sat||09:00 - 12:00||Online|
|Apr 22 - Jul 22||N/A||N/A||Online|
- Internet delivery format.
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for Departmental approval. Include your Student number (A0#) and COMP__ and preferred CRN __ and Program Declaration____. Course is 48 hours - 36 hours synchronous online classes and 12 hours asynchronous activities/labs. The class meets once per week for 3 hours online and requires an additional 1 hour per week asynchronously. Late registration is not permitted. No class May 20 (Victoria Day) and July 1 (Canada Day).
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term, subscribe to receive email updates or contact us with your comments or questions.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Illustrate the iOS mobile development Process.
- Explain the basics of the Model View Controller (MVC).
- Leverage some of the networking and multi-threading capabilities that exist in iOS.
- Utilize the Swift programming language including properties, conditionals, instance variables, classes, strings, arrays, loops, methods and enums.
- Employ basic Debugging and trouble shooting.
- Create user interfaces for iOS applications with UIKit, Auto Layout, and SwiftUI.
- Utilize Git source control.
- Use Core Data to persist data within an iOS application.
- Create unit and integration tests for iOS applications.
- Utilize Core Location and MapKit for location based applications.
- Experience working in teams on iOS related projects.
- Design, develop, create and present a significant final iOS business application project.
- Describe the process required to publish and submit an iOS application to the App Store.
Effective as of Fall 2021
iOS Mobile Application Development (COMP 3912) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Applied Software Development (ASD)
Associate Certificate Part-time
- Computer Systems
- Web and Mobile Application Development
Associate Certificate Part-time
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of iOS Mobile Application Development (COMP 3912)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.