This course introduces the basic principles of soil mechanics and testing procedures through lectures, problem-solving sessions, and laboratory demonstrations. Topics include mass/volume relationships, soil classification, compaction, and permeability.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of CIVL 2140 for the Winter 2023 term.
Mon Jan 09 - Mon Mar 20 (10 weeks)
- 10 weeks
- CRN 89568
Class meeting times
|Jan 09 - Mar 20||Mon||18:30 - 21:30||Burnaby SW03 Rm. 2765|
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
There will be no class on Monday, February 20, 2023, Family Day holiday. In-person course with on campus lab components. For more information, please visit our commons webpage: commons.bcit.ca/civiltech/
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Calculate volume-weight relationships for soils.
- Classify soils using the Unified Soil Classification System.
- Describe compaction and in-place soil density tests.
- Solve applied problems dealing with soil permeability.
Effective as of Fall 2011
Introduction to Soil Mechanics (CIVL 2140) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Soil Mechanics (CIVL 2140)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.