This course provides an overview of cardiac rehabilitation, emphasizing the concept of cardiac illness as a chronic disease. The goal is to equip students with the foundational knowledge and tools required to go on to a specialty study in the area of cardiac rehabilitation and become an integral member of the cardiac team. Emphasis is on risk factor management and especially moderate exercise as major components in the treatment of cardiac illness. Discussion will include issues related to teaching patients safe and effective cardiac rehabilitation, program standards and case studies. .
- S in CARD 3252
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the principles and theory supporting cardiac rehabilitation.
- Identify evaluation techniques and tools used to risk-stratify patients for cardiac rehabilitation
- Describe methods of Risk Factor Modification especially as it relates to the principles of exercise for patients with cardiac disease who may also possess other co-morbidities.
- Identify possible effects that common cardiac medications have on exercising patients.
- Apply the educational knowledge to examples of 'real life' in a Case History situation assignment.
- Choose the correct teaching/care strategy to maximize risk factor modification for a client as a member of a Cardiac Rehabilitation Team.
- Find and assess online sources of Cardiac Rehab information for their validity and potential benefit or detriment to a patient
Effective as of Winter 2022
Introduction to Cardiac Rehabilitation (CARD 3280) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Health Sciences
- Cardiology Technology
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Introduction to Cardiac Rehabilitation (CARD 3280)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.