The motion of wind and water are two of the three main sources of renewable energy. The main goal of this course is to familiarize students with installation and operational requirements for several types of renewable energy systems that are wind and water driven. The specifics of wind vs. water power generation will be covered after common electrical principles have been discussed. A significant part of the course is dedicated to application activities that reinforce the theory. At the end of the course a student will be comfortable doing installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of wind and micro-hydro power systems.
- 70% in ACIM 5010
Below is one offering of REES 6010 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Nov 05 - Sat Dec 17 (6 weeks)
- 6 weeks
- CRN 48106
Class meeting times
|Nov 05 - Dec 17||Sat||07:30 - 15:30||Burnaby SE01|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
No class on November 12, 2022 (Remembrance Day weekend). Registration is processed on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED basis. BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. Ensure your contact information (e.g. personal email address) is current. In the event of cancellation, student will be notified five business days prior to the course start date. Please send your inquiries to BCIT_REESIM@bcit.ca
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply the Canadian Electrical Code to renewable energy system installations.
- Connect a wind generator to a battery bank via a charge controller.
- Troubleshoot wind- and water-driven renewable energy PLC systems.
- Troubleshoot hydraulic braking system circuits.
- Configure a power quality meter to detect a reverse-power situation and take the generator off-line.
- Configure a power quality meter to detect an out-of-bounds power factor and take appropriate action.
Effective as of Fall 2016
Installation of Fluid-driven Renewable Energy Systems (REES 6010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
- Renewable Energy Electrical Systems Installation & Maintenance
Advanced Certificate Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Installation of Fluid-driven Renewable Energy Systems (REES 6010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.