This course is intended for registered nurses who have taken the Forensic Nurse Examiner training. Students will learn to build therapeutic relationships with survivors that present as indigenous. Students will learn how to provide the necessary foundation and tools to move towards cultural competency while providing trauma informed and culturally aware forensic nursing care. Upon successful completion of this course, students will earn a digital badge titled “Indigenous Cultural Awareness and Safety in Forensic Nursing".
FSCT 7840 Forensic Nurse Examiner Core Education: Theoretical Aspects, or by permission of the forensics department.
Below is one offering of XFSC 7856 for the Spring/Summer 2022 term.
Wed Aug 03 - Wed Aug 10 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 68409
Class meeting times
|Aug 03 - Aug 10||Wed||17:30 - 21:00||Online|
- Departmental approval needed
- Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account to access this information.
This 0.5 credit course is online. There will be two 3.5 hour livestream sessions on Wed, Aug 3 and Aug 10th at 1730 - 2100 (5:30 pm – 9:00pm). BCIT is offering a one time only discount of $75. Please contact the Program Assistants for departmental approval to register (including your BCIT student A0#) at BCIT_Forensics@bcit.ca. At that time, the fee waiver for the discount will be provided.
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Apply principles of Indigenous knowledge to career field.
- Describe strategies for working with the indigenous survivor and ways to advocate for cultural safety.
- Explain and incorporate trauma and violence informed culturally sensitive practices when providing forensic care to survivors of sexual assault and domestic violence.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Indigenous Cultural Awareness and Safety in Forensic Nursing (XFSC 7856) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Computing and Academic Studies
- Advanced Forensic Nurse Examiner
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Indigenous Cultural Awareness and Safety in Forensic Nursing (XFSC 7856)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.