This course along with XCUL 1101 will give leaders background information which will help with recruitment, training, retaining, and supporting the local Indigenous community members. It will aide in reconciliation by giving employers the tools to indigenize their HR processes and it will promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in workplaces. Students will learn how to communicate and celebrate cultures and differences rather than perpetuate bias and stereotypes, and how to provide an inclusive working environment for not only Indigenous staff but those from various cultures.
Below is one offering of XCUL 1201 for the Spring/Summer 2022 term.
Tue Aug 09 - Wed Aug 17 (2 weeks)
- 2 weeks
- CRN 68441
Class meeting times
|Aug 09||Tue||09:00 - 16:00||WHIST|
|Aug 17||Wed||09:00 - 14:00||WHIST|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
XCUL 1101 is a prerequisite for this class. Attendance in both classes is required. Location: Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre, 4584 Blackcomb Way, Whistler, BC
This course offering is in progress. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate cultural self-awareness as it relates to the participant’s work environment.
- Employ cultural empathy and communicate effectively in intercultural work settings.
- Facilitate a discussion on how to manage and approach a challenging intercultural work scenario.
- Acquire intercultural tools and strategies to support the retention and development of their employees.
- Develop an organizational plan in support of indigenization and diversity efforts.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Indigenous & Intercultural Awareness at Work (XCUL 1201)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.