This course along with XCUL 1101 will give leaders background information which will help with recruitment, training, retaining, and supporting the local Indigenous community members. It will aide in reconciliation by giving employers the tools to indigenize their HR processes and it will promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in workplaces. Students will learn how to communicate and celebrate cultures and differences rather than perpetuate bias and stereotypes, and how to provide an inclusive working environment for not only Indigenous staff but those from various cultures.
Below is one offering of XCUL 1201 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Nov 19 - Wed Nov 30 (1 week)
- 1 week
- CRN 49593
Class meeting times
|Nov 19||Sat||09:00 - 16:00||Other|
|Nov 30||Wed||14:00 - 19:00||Other|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
1. Dates: Nov 19, Saturday 9:00am-4:00pm and Nov 30, Wednesday 2:00-7:00pm (attendance in both classes required). 2. Location: Nov 19: Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre, 4584 Blackcomb Way, Whistler, BC V8E 0Y3 and Nov 30: Whistler Chamber Of Commerce Boardroom, 4230 Gate Way Dr #201, Whistler, BC V8E 0Z8. 3. Important course information will be sent to you prior to your course start date. Check your myBCIT email account the day before the course starts to access this information. 4. Students must bring pen and note pad.
This course offering has been cancelled. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate cultural self-awareness as it relates to the participant’s work environment.
- Employ cultural empathy and communicate effectively in intercultural work settings.
- Facilitate a discussion on how to manage and approach a challenging intercultural work scenario.
- Acquire intercultural tools and strategies to support the retention and development of their employees.
- Develop an organizational plan in support of indigenization and diversity efforts.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2022
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Indigenous & Intercultural Awareness at Work (XCUL 1201)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.