This course is the equivalent to PEMAC Maintenance Management Professional Certification Program Module 3: Human Resource Management for the Maintenance Manager. This module looks at how human resources practices relate to the maintenance environment. Topics covered include the role of human resources in maintenance management, meeting legal requirements, recruitment and selection, orientation training and employee development, proper application of performance appraisals, the union-management interface, managing change through effective leadership and managing safety in the workplace. Topics include: understanding the legal aspects of human resource management; dealing with worker issues within the maintenance environment; human resource planning; compensation management; applying recruitment and selection procedures; conducting performance appraisals; implementing performance management and managing safety within a maintenance environment.
- 60% in PEMA 1000
Below is one offering of PEMA 2010 for the Spring/Summer 2023 term.
Thu Apr 06 - Thu Jun 08 (10 weeks)
- 10 weeks
- CRN 58594
Class meeting times
|Apr 06 - Jun 08||Thu||18:45 - 21:45||Distance|
- Internet delivery format.
Please note: The delivery format for this course changed from in-person/in-class to ONLINE DELIVERY for the Spring/Summer term. This is an instructor-led online course. Upon registration, please visit the Learning Hub (learn.bcit.ca) for further information regarding course material(s). Please purchase any required course material such as textbooks prior to the first class - www.bcit.ca/bookstore/ BCIT reserves the right to cancel courses. In the event of a part-time studies course cancellation, you will be notified at least two business days prior to the course start. Please ensure that your contact information is current.
In Progress and Full
This course offering is in progress and full. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive email updates.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Summarize the structure of Human Resource Management as it applies to the Canadian environment, specifically the maintenance environment.
- Describe the role of government legislation on Human Resources Management.
- Manage the employment lifecycle - the process of employee hiring, orientation, training and performance management according to sound HR principles.
- Differentiate the roles that union and management have in a harmonious work environment.
- Analyze a typical team challenge and describe how they might move the situation forward productively as the leader/supervisor.
- Describe the role of the maintenance department in upholding the requirements of the OH&S legislation that applies in their work environment.
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2016
Human Resources Management for the Maintenance Manager (PEMA 2010) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Energy
- Maintenance Management Professional
Statement of Completion Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Human Resources Management for the Maintenance Manager (PEMA 2010)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.