This course covers the concept of creating visual effects using Houdini, including particles, fire and smoke, fluids and rigid bodies. Students learn the concept of particle operators and physics elements, while focusing on the industry-standard workflow for creating visual effects and dynamics. Students also work with forces such as gravity, drag, and wind to create great-looking particle effects inside the 3D scene. In addition, while utilizing VEX expressions, the course covers the logic of working with rigid bodies and collisions, and the interaction between 3D objects and dynamic elements. For the final project in this course, students create a scene that includes effects such as fire, rain, smoke and object destruction.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Navigate the shelves and panels related to Houdini dynamics
- Create and setup particle operators in a 3D scene
- Modify particle attributes like frequency, life span, size and velocity
- Create particle sprites
- Build and setup rigid bodies in the 3D scene for object interactions
- Create dynamic animations based on physics elements, particles and rigid bodies
- Build fire and smoke like effects
- Combine different dynamic effects such as particles and objects inside a scene
- Write VEX expressions for dynamic effects
- Produce and render a short effects clip
Effective as of Spring/Summer 2021
Houdini for Visual Effects and Dynamics (MDIA 2740) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Houdini for Visual Effects and Dynamics
Statement of Completion Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Houdini for Visual Effects and Dynamics (MDIA 2740)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.