- International Fees
International fees are typically three times the amount of domestic fees. The exact cost will be displayed prior to confirming registration.
This course introduces Houdini (industry-standard application for visual effects) to students who are familiar with the concept of 3D environments and who want to learn one of the leading applications used in the visual effects industry. Throughout this course, students develop skills and understanding related to the 3D environment and learn to navigate in the Houdini application. In addition, this course covers some of the most powerful aspects of node-based workflow, including the user interface, basic geometry manipulation, 3D modeling and animation, and surface and dynamic operators. Students explore how to create and import geometry, apply materials and manipulate UVs and practice these skills through each step of the pipeline, including modeling, animation, basic automation, dynamics, lighting and rendering to construct a shot.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
- Not offered this term
- This course is not offered this term. Please check back next term or subscribe to receive notifications of future course offerings and other opportunities to learn more about this course and related programs.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Navigate through different panels, windows, and menus inside Houdini
- Describe the node-based workflow within the Houdini application
- Create 3D objects by using a variety of modelling tools
- Use interactive transformation tools
- Apply and manipulate UVs to the 3D models
- Create basic animations with and without keyframes
- Explain physics concepts for dynamic effects
- Build particle systems and effects by manipulating particle attributes
- Create rigid bodies and apply physics elements
- Set up the camera in the 3D scene
- Build proper lighting for the scene
- Explain the workflow of surface and dynamic operators
- Utilize Mantra and rendering processes in Houdini
- Write small scripts for basic automation
- Render 3D environments and effects
Effective as of Winter 2021
Houdini Essentials (MDIA 1740) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Business + Media
- Houdini for Visual Effects and Dynamics
Statement of Completion Part-time
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Houdini Essentials (MDIA 1740)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.