GROW 1000 is designed for students, design professionals, contractors and planners who already have a basic understanding of green roofs. The course provides students with an understanding of green roof performance criteria, and offers knowledge and skills to manage the details, installation and maintenance aspects of green roof design. Students will be exposed to leading edge information on materials, design details, and implementation methods, and learn about green roof policy. The course presents regionally-relevant solutions supported by the current research at the Centre for Architectural Ecology (CAE). Through a project, students will integrate the lectures with practical hands-on activities. Students will further apply their knowledge through case study discussions and a tour of the BCIT Elevated Lab.
- No prerequisites are required for this course.
Below is one offering of GROW 1000 for the Fall 2022 term.
Sat Oct 15 - Sat Oct 29 (3 weeks)
- 3 weeks
- CRN 34487
Class meeting times
|Oct 15 - Oct 29||Sat||09:00 - 16:00||Burnaby|
Course outline TBD — see Learning Outcomes in the interim.
This course will be held inside the NE3 building at the Burnaby campus.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Evaluate the feasibility and options for green roofs, for new and existing roof installations.
- Propose the most appropriate green roof design to match design purpose, environmental mandate, and site/climatic conditions.
- Select appropriate plant material and product choices for the roof environment, soil type/depth, roof functions, and visual criteria.
- Apply knowledge of the specific technical function of green roof components to an understanding of the roofing system's design and its performance as a whole through the development of construction plans and details.
- Develop a project management timeline for an efficient green roof installation.
- Create an establishment maintenance plan and long term care requirements.
Effective as of Fall 2006
Green Roofs - Details, Installation and Maintenance (GROW 1000) is offered as a part of the following programs:
School of Construction and the Environment
If you have a question or comment about this course, please complete and submit the form below.
Interested in being notified about future offerings of Green Roofs - Details, Installation and Maintenance (GROW 1000)? If so, fill out the information below and we'll notify you by email when courses for each new term are displayed here.
Programs and courses are subject to change without notice.